Staying with his parents to take care of them when his cousin lives there


Q: I have a cousin who lives with our family. Her father died and her mother is remarried. She is engaged to my elder brother who lives abroad. Though she is not a practicing Muslim, she does not present any temptation to winning my heart which is guided to Iman (faith). Kindly give me your fatwa. Do I have to leave the house, as it is impossible to ask her to leave? My elderly parents who are practicing Muslims will be angry if I leave the house. They may die while they are displeased with me. Is it lawful for me to anger my parents by leaving the house, or continue staying with them while not being safe from Fitnah (temptation)? Give us your fatwa so that I can rest assured.

A: There is no wrong if you continue to live with your parents provided that you do not remain in Khulwah (being alone with a member of the opposite sex) with your cousin. You must ask her to wear Hijab (veil) and you are obliged not look at her. You should seek Allah's help and protection from falling in sin. We advise you get married soon as this will help you to (Part No. 25; Page No. 147) guard your chastity and lower your gaze. This is based on the Sahih (authentic) Hadith which states: 'O young people! Whoever among you is able to marry, should marry, for marriage would help him lower his gaze and keep his virtuousness, and whoever is not able to marry is recommended to fast, as fasting would diminish his sexual power. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.